Google Ads (Adwords) is the biggest PPC platform for any Ad strategy. When set up strategically, it is the best source of paid traffic. This step-by-step guide aims to educate the readers about how to execute a paid search campaign on Google Ads (Adwords). Read this stepwise procedure to do Google search engine marketing via Google Ads (Adwords) to start getting more traffic, and generate more leads and customers. If you follow this guide, you can easily learn Google Ads (Adwords) and how it works.
On an average, Google processes approximately 3.5 billion searches a day. Out of all these searches, a small part would be for something, for which you would want your website to show up. A Google Ads (Adwords) campaign can help you target the right people for your website. Learn Google Ads (Adwords) and utilize this power of Google search engine marketing via Google Ads (Adwords) to turn these people into your potential customers.
Step wise procedure to do Google Search engine marketing via Google Ads (Adwords)
Follow these easy steps to learn how to do search engine marketing on Google Ads (Adwords) and set up your own campaign (Note: If you already have a Google Google Ads (Adwords) account, start from Step 5.):
1. Set up your Google Ads (Adwords) account.
You need to have a Google Google Ads (Adwords) account to set up your Google Google Ads (Adwords) campaign. Go to https://Google Ads (Adwords).google.com/home/ and click on the ‘Start Now’ button.
2. Enter basic information
Once you click the start now button, you will be taken to another page where you have to enter your email id and website address. Also read about how to get traffic to your website, in our blog: TECHNICAL SEO TACTICS TO IMPROVE WEBSITE TRAFFIC.
3. Click on continue.
After adding your email address and website URL, click on the continue button at the bottom.
4. Sign in
(Skip this step if you are already logged into Google)
Another page will open up. Sign in with an existing Google account by entering your email address and password. Alternatively, you can create a new google account to sign into your Google Ads (Adwords) account.
5. Create a new campaign
Once you sign in, your account set up is completed, click on create new campaign.
6. Select a campaign type
While doing Google search engine marketing via Google Ads (Adwords), you can choose between five categories of campaigns. These are: search, display, shopping, video and universal app. For now, select the search category.
- Ads in the search network campaign appear in the search results when people search for terms related to the keywords of your campaign.
- You can create ads in appealing formats using the display network campaign. You can create responsive ads which adjust their size, format and appearance to fit ad spaces, image ads, engagement ads or gmail ads.
- Shopping ads show your product’s image, price, title, store name, etc.
- Video campaigns allow you to show video ads on YouTube and the Google display network.
- Universal app campaigns allow you to promote your apps on Google Search, Google Play, YouTube and the Google Display Network. Google uses ad text and images or videos from the Google Play Store listing to create ads for you.
Read about the tips for creating the most effective YouTube Ads, in our blog: TIPS FOR CREATING THE MOST EFFECTIVE YOUTUBE ADS.
7. Pick your goal
Select your goal for the campaign, whether you want to drive sales, get more leads or increase traffic on your website. Click the continue button at the bottom. To know how to boost traffic on your website, read our blog: BOOST TRAFFIC ON YOUR WEBSITE USING THESE 6 CHEAP ONLINE TOOLS.
8. Enter Campaign Name and Networks
Enter your campaign name. In the networks category, remove the tick next to ‘Include Google search network partners’. Google Search Network partners are a network of websites, search engines and web pages where your campaign ads show up. You can also choose whether you want to add a display network or not.
9. Select the target locations
Choose the geographic locations where you would like your ads to show up. You can choose countries, regions, states or cities.
10. Choose Language
Select the language or languages that your customers speak. Your ad will appear in the language chosen.
11. Set your daily budget
Enter the amount for your ad campaign to specify a limit on how much you would like to spend each day. Google Ads (Adwords) shows ads till the average daily budget is met.
12. Select your focus for the campaign
In the bidding category, choose what you would like to focus on; conversions, conversion value, or clicks. Read about pay-per-click marketing, in our blog: HOW DOES PAY PER CLICK MARKETING WORK?
13. Select a bid strategy
When you are doing Google Search engine marketing via Google Ads (Adwords), it provides you with numerous bidding strategies.
- Manual CPC gives you maximum control over bids. This bidding strategy allows you to set your own maximum CPC for your ads.
- Target CPA, an automated bidding strategy helps you get as many conversions as possible at the target cost-per-acquisition (CPA) you set.
- Target ROAS helps you to maximize conversion value by adjusting bids depending on your end goal. Google Ads (Adwords) predicts the number of conversions based on the values advertisers set up.
- Maximize clicks lets you set a maximum amount you’re willing to pay for each click. It sets bids to get the most clicks within your budget.
- Maximize conversions automatically sets bids to get most conversions for your budget.
- Target search page location bidding sets bids to show your ad at the top of the page or on the first page of Google search results.
- Target Outranking Share automatically sets your bids in such a way that you outrank specific advertisers and appear higher than them in the results.
- Enhanced CPC adjusts manual bids to get the most conversions.
14. Select a start and end date
Enter the start and end date for your campaign. If you don’t set an end date, then your campaign will run indefinitely and Google will keep charging you.
15. Add your ad extensions
Ad extensions are of different kinds and add depth to your advertisement.
- Sitelink extensions are for adding links to different areas of your website.
- Call out extensions can be used to add more features about your products and services.
- Call extensions allow you to add a phone number.
16. Click Save and Continue
Click the save and continue button on the bottom.
17. Create an ad group
Enter an ad group name and keywords related to your industry. An ad groups consists of ads that target a shared set of keywords.
18. Research Keywords using Google keyword planner
Use Google keyword planner to research keywords and select the best keywords suited to your campaign.
19. Create a dummy ad for your campaigns
- Add in your final URL, which is the URL of your landing page.
- Enter your headlines, make sure to include your focus keyword in the headlines.
- Add a description for your ad.
20. Design ads
Create a number of ads and test which one would work the best for you. When doing Google Search engine marketing via Google Ads (Adwords), you need to rewrite ads and tweak them to get the best results. Once you have designed your ads, click done. Then click on save and continue.
Google Ads (Adwords) provides you with 3 elements:
- Headings: There are two heading fields, each having a limit of 30 characters.
- Display URL: This is made up of your domain name and two path fields having a limit of 15 characters each. Display URL appears below the headings in green.
- Description: This is the description about the ad and has a limit of 80 characters.
Read about URL optimization, in our blog: HOW TO DO URL OPTIMIZATION FOR HIGHER SEARCH ENGINE RANKINGS.
Review your campaign settings and click ‘continue to campaign’.
22. Add your billing methods
Payment methods vary according to your country and currency. The popular billing methods are credit or debit cards, net banking, bank account payment or money transfer.
23. Launch your ad campaign
Once you add your payment methods, Google Ads (Adwords) launches your ad campaign.
Once you launch your Google Ads (Adwords) campaign, review your results and take proper actions according to the analytics that are provided. To learn Google Ads (Adwords) can be tricky and confusing, especially for beginners. But it is important to know how to do search engine marketing via Google Ads (Adwords), as it gets you more sales and traffic. It can not only increase your website traffic but also generate more leads. Thus, learning how to do search engine marketing on Google Ads (Adwords) and creating a successful campaign is a good addition to your marketing strategy.