Keywords and links are different parts of search engine optimization. But, when used together, they can help you build an optimized website with high rankings. When you use keywords as anchor text in links, crawlers can easily determine the relevancy of the content and the website can rank higher for keywords. This blog lists why using keywords in and around links is important to achieve higher rankings. It also talks about manual and automated ways to hyperlink keywords in the content written.
Keywords and links are the foundation for search engine optimization. It is a well-known fact that you can increase website search rankings by the use of keywords. Most of the time, links use domain names as the anchor text. But, when you use keyword-rich anchor text for links, the SERP ranking and the number of website visitors increases drastically.
WHY KEYWORDS ARE NEEDED IN AND AROUND LINKS
1. Allows the user to navigate a website
Not only do you increase website search rankings by use of keywords in the anchor text, but also make navigation easier. For website visitors, the text lets them know about the content of the links. It makes it easier for them to search for the content they want to see. To know about something beyond keywords, read our blog: BEYOND KEYWORDS: VISUAL SEARCH OPTIMISATION.
2. Establish an information hierarchy
Search engines crawl to the websites by following internal and external links. By following links on websites, the crawlers determine the relationship between various pages and the content. By using keywords in and around links, crawlers get the signal that the content is related to those keywords and thus establishes a hierarchy.
3. Help spread ranking power around websites
Search engines determine the relationship between content and also divide the link value. Link value is shared between all pages that are linked. The link value passed to these pages is then distributed to the pages linking to them. Thus, a page that has a lot of links will be deemed more important and will rank higher. To know how to optimize for personalized search, read our blog: HOW TO OPTIMIZE FOR PERSONALIZED SEARCH.
HOW TO BUILD KEYWORD RICH LINKS
1. Use keywords in internal links
This is one of the most important on-page optimization keyword tactics. Instead of using the general ‘click here for more information’ in your anchor text use ‘click here for knowing more about ‘internal linking strategy‘. This is because using keywords in and around links gives the webpage a boost in rankings.
2. Directory listings
Many free and paid directory listings websites allow you to specify the anchor text. Use keyword-rich anchor text in each of your directory listings.
3. Blog post titles
It is no secret that you can increase website search rankings by use of keywords in the titles. But, using keywords in titles is also important because people usually use the blog title as the anchor text while quoting or linking back to the webpage.
4. Reach out to websites that link to you
When someone links back to you, it means they are either interested in your content and products or find your website useful. You can easily reach out and influence the anchor text of the link by giving them the code to do so or simply ask them to add the keyword. Since adding a keyword to the link will boost their rankings too, they will be open to this idea.
5. Use SEO smart links for hyperlinking keywords
SEO smart links is a tool that can be used to automatically link posts, pages, etc with keyword-rich anchor texts.
- Download SEO smart links: Download the free version here. You can also buy the premium version of the plugin. The premium version costs $249 for 3 months and $399 for 12 months.
- Install the plugin: After downloading, install the plugin by going to plugins and clicking on add new. Upload the zip file and once it is uploaded, activate it.
- Go to settings: After installation, go to the settings and go to SEO smart links.
- Configure: Configure the settings by choosing which posts you want to link automatically and choose which pages you want to toggle on/ off the plugin for.
- Set up automatic linking for specific keywords: Specify the keywords that you have used in your content and mention the pages you want the content to link to.
Know how to boost local SEO, in our blog: HOW TO BOOST LOCAL SEO: A FEW SIMPLE STEPS.
It is important to remember that using keywords in and around links is essential for SEO. This helps to build relevancy and boosts search engine rankings for a website. There are many ways in which keyword-rich links can be built manually or by using automated methods. One cannot control the anchor text that is used in backlinks, but by mentioning a few keywords it can be influenced. By implementing these tactics for your links, you can increase your website search ranking easily and efficiently.