Paid search can be a bit overwhelming in the beginning. Pay per click marketing is also called search engine marketing. This type of marketing is somewhat complex because of the number of ad formats, targeting options, networks, and terms related to it. But, when done strategically, it brings positive results. This blog aims to help the reader understand what is PPC marketing and how it works so that you can drive more traffic and increase conversions.
What is PPC marketing? PPC, which stands for pay per click, is a method of digital marketing, in which advertisers pay for an ad each time a potential customer clicks on it. Advertisements on search engines are one of the most common forms of PPC ads. Advertisers bid on specific keywords, for which the ads appear when a search query is performed.
What is PPC used for?
- To increase leads: Many PPC advertisements are focused on generating leads. As they are targeted towards a particular audience, PPC ads bring more qualified leads that are likely to convert.
- To promote the brand: PPC ads are a great way to spread brand awareness amongst targeted customer groups. These ads help to maximize the visibility of a brand, especially in competitive markets.
- To increase sales: Potential customers generally do a research online, before making a decision to buy anything. Pay per click marketing is focused on a target audience and specific keywords. Thus, it increases the chances of conversions.
Popular pay per click marketing platforms
- Google Ads (Adwords): Marketing on Google ads is a paid marketing service and is the largest PPC ad platform. The ads are shown on Google and the Google display network, which consists of youtube, Gmail, and many other websites. Marketing on Google ads is cost-effective and is a powerful tool for both small and large businesses.
- Bing Ads: Bing ads is another popular PPC ad network. Advertisements that are run on bing ads are shown on the Bing and Yahoo network. An advantage of bing ads is that it allows you to import advertisements from an existing google ads campaign. Thus, you can save time and energy by not having to create a campaign from scratch. Bing Ads primarily offer keyword-based advertising.
If you also wish to know about something beyond keywords, read our blog: BEYOND KEYWORDS: VISUAL SEARCH OPTIMISATION.
Steps to do pay per click marketing
- Set goals: To design PPC ads, you need to know what are your goals for the campaign. Goals can be brand awareness, lead generation, increase website traffic, or sales. The goals dictate what will be the focal point in a campaign. To increase sales or number of leads, focus on conversions, focus on click-through rates to increase traffic. If you want to boost brand awareness, use the display network, and remarketing options available.
- Choose the right keywords: If you are doing marketing on Google ads, carefully choose a list of keywords to bid on. Keywords are the foundation of a strong pay per click marketing campaign. In addition to focus keywords, expand your list by adding long-tail, low cost, and highly relevant keywords. Add negative keywords to improve targeting and relevancy.
- Create PPC campaign: Create and segment the PPC campaigns into ad groups based on keywords for different products and services. The number of campaigns and ad groups depends on the number of keywords that you bid on. The division of keywords can be done on the basis of location, product types, target audience, etc.
- Develop an ad copy: Once you have created a campaign, the next step is to develop an ad copy. The effectiveness of the campaign depends upon the ad. An effective ad copy consists of keywords, compelling CTAs, and an attractive value proposition. You can add extensions to show additional information like phone number, address, ratings, or additional links.
- Create a landing page: A landing page is where the prospects will be redirected to when they click on the ad. Create unique landing pages for each campaign and optimize them for conversion. Have a call-to-action button like ‘subscribe’ or ‘buy now’ along with information about the products or services.
- Monitor your campaign: Always monitor pay per click marketing campaigns. If you are doing marketing on google ads, use google analytics to keep track of each campaign. This allows you to gain insights about visitor behavior and what kind of ads are working better. Bounce rates, conversion rates, and CTR will help to optimize the campaign, ad copy, and landing pages for better results.
To know more about the need for digital marketing, read our blog on: NEED FOR DIGITAL MARKETING IN TODAY’S BUSINESS WORLD. The effectiveness of every PPC campaign increases with research and refinement. Experiment with different features and strategies for your business. Now that you know what is PPC marketing, plan your campaign, and invest wisely.