If you know the basics of SEO, then you must have heard the term Off page SEO. But, how is off page seo done and what exactly is it? A lot of people consider that off page seo is all about link building. But, there is more to Off page SEO than just links. It consists of a lot of activities that get your website at the top of the SERPs. This blog outlines the parameters of off page SEO and how it is done.
Off page SEO, also known as Off site SEO, refers to the practices and actions that are done off-website to improve rankings in the SERPs. Off page SEO strategies are aimed at increasing website popularity, trustworthiness and authority.
Off page SEO techniques are important because:
- They increase rankings: Off page SEO helps your website rank higher in SERP
- Increase Page rank: Page rank is a score given to your site, which shows how relevant and important google considers your website. Even though page rank is one of the 250 factors which google analyses, it is important for SEO.
- Gives more exposure: Off page SEO is all about visibility and exposure. Higher rankings and more exposure on other platforms improve your brand visibility.
Here are some Parameters of Off page SEO that can improve your visibility and help you rank higher in SERPs.
Building backlinks is critical for off-page SEO. Search engines use backlinks to rank a page’s quality and credibility. Thus, a website with high quality backlinks will outrank other websites. Links are of three types:
- Natural links: Natural links or organic links are links given by sites and pages that want to link to you. They are called natural links because you don’t have to execute link building strategies to get them.
- Manual or self created link: this involves reaching out to bloggers or submitting your website to directories and asking them to link back to you. A lot of websites also offer links through guest signing, comments, user profiles etc. These kinds of links are of little value and seldom work to enhance rankings in SERPs.
Parameters to consider while doing link building in off page SEO:
- Content based link building: This involves creation of creative content like infographics, videos, image galleries etc. The main motive is to earn links from those who find the content interesting, useful, relevant, etc.
- Quality content: Creating quality content that is valuable, informative and engaging is a good way to earn backlinks for your website.
- Broken link building: It is a process where you find a broken or dead link. You recreate the content and ask the owner to link to your content instead. As broken links result in a bad user experience, websites generally link to the created content.
- Reaching out: you can create quality content and then reach out to bloggers or websites in your niche to link to you.
Social Media Marketing
Social media marketing refers to promoting your brand, products or services on Social Media platforms like Facebook, Google Plus, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. Boosting your social presence and content sharing by social media users increases your brand visibility.
The more your content is shared on social media, the more can people see it. It also increases linking opportunities. Not only that, social media marketing builds an audience who navigate to your site. This enhances your CTR which is one of the factors that google uses to rank websites.
It is a form of sharable bookmarking, where instead of using a browser’s bookmark option, a user saves bookmarks to a bookmark site. Being bookmarked on a social bookmarking site can drive traffic to your website. Sometimes, search engines also show results from social bookmarking sites. Thus, social bookmarking can be used to enhance your SERP rankings.
Posting on forums
Forum posting has become a popular way of enhancing page ranking. Posting comments on forums that are of value to users and adding links to your website, can increase traffic. Forum posting also provides opportunities for link building in off page SEO.
Guest blogging or guest posting is the process of contributing articles for someone else’s blogs. Guest blogging helps you to establish a relationship with the blogger you contribute content for. This gives you additional exposure and also provides you with an opportunity for link building. It also provides you with a larger audience as some of the viewers who read your post navigate to your website.
Build connections with influencers
Influencer marketing is a practice where businesses partner up with influencers to promote their brands. Promoting your brand through influencers increases brand awareness, sales and website traffic.
Classified ad posting
It involves posting online advertisements on websites, which are created for the purpose of hosting advertisements. Classified ad posting is an excellent source of generating traffic and backlinks.
Publishing press releases
Online press releases are articles on online news websites, about a brand or organization. Press releases can be done on portals, journals etc. There are specific websites that particularly focus on press releases. Press releases create brand awareness and create a backlink to your website, which drive traffic.
By publishing articles related to your niche in article directories, you can get a few links to your website. Some article directories accept only unique articles, while a few also accept articles that have already been published.
Off page SEO involves improving the visibility of your website and enhancing the perceptions of the users about the site’s quality. Thus, the basic parameters of off page SEO include link building, social media marketing, influencer marketing, mentions of your brand and sharing of your content, from sources that are outside of your website. Link building in off page seo is the heart of off page seo. Once you know how is off page seo done, you can use these strategies to enhance your SEO strategy.