Schema markup is one of the least utilised forms of Search Engine Optimisation. It is quite powerful and can boost your website in the search engine result pages. Not many websites include schema markup formats or know what it is for. This blog highlights how to use schema markup to boost SEO activities.
So, what is website schema markup? It is a vocabulary of tags which you can add to HTML to provide context about the content to a search engine. As a result, it helps search engines to return better results for the users.
Schema.org structured data is a collaboration between Google, Bing, Yahoo and Yandex. Adding schema markup improves the display of a webpage in the SERPs by enhancing the rich snippets.
Schema markup to boost seo: How does Schema markup work?
Schema is one of the advanced search engine optimisation techniques. It is added and applied to the HTML code of a web page to define what it is. You can use the ‘itemtype’ attribute to the relevant <div> block to allow search engines to identify what the content relates to.
Above all, the most popular uses of schema are for businesses and organisations, events, people, products, videos, and reviews. Each information type has categories which you can use to describe it in more detail.
Benefits of schema markup
As mentioned before, Schema markup in the HTML code helps search engine crawlers to interpret the content of your web page. This can increase visibility. It might not improve search engine rankings but it improves rich snippets. Which in turn, lead to a higher click through rate as it is easier for the users to determine if the content is what they are looking for or not. And, of course great user experience is what we need at the end.
Read our next blog on WHAT IS HTTP2: IMPACT ON SEO AND HOW TO IMPLEMENT IT to know how it also proves to be a great tool to enrich user experience for your customers.
Schema markup to boost seo: Adding schema markup to a website
Here’s how to use schema markup to boost SEO activities:
- Create JSON-LD markup: You can generate JSON-LD schema generator tool available on SchemaApp.com. Add the properties you want to include and copy the code to your clipboard.
- Create a custom HTML tag: Create a custom HTML tag in Google tag manager and name it schema markup.
- Paste the code: Paste the JSON-LD code into the custom HTML box
- Save: Click the save button on the top right hand corner and click save tag.
- Create a new trigger: Next, create a new trigger for page views. To do this, select the page views trigger and name it page view.
- Configure: Configure the page views trigger to fire it on all page views. Then click save.
- Connect: The next step is to open the custom created HTML tag that you created and choose the page view trigger. Click the save button once you are done.
- Publish and test: Click the publish button. Use the structured data testing tool to see what it will look like in the search results.
So, now you know the use of schema markup to boost SEO activities. It is easy to apply and is a great Search Engine Optimisation technique. Read our next blog on TECHNICAL SEO TACTICS TO IMPROVE WEBSITE TRAFFIC which will guide you through other technical ways to optimize SEO.
It might seem a bit tedious, but the results are worth it. You can implement relevant micro data to improve your search results. Hence, it will give your website a boost and will help in facing the tough competition in SEO.
Not only schema markup and other On-Page SEO tactics act as a key to your website traffic, but you should also know the PARAMETERS OF OFF-PAGE SEO: KNOW HOW OFF-PAGE SEO IS DONE to generate organic traffic for your website.